Saturday, June 28, 2008

xxxHOLiC Review


Before you read this review, let me tell you that I am not, in any way affiliated with the production and anything related to xxxHOLiC (get what I really mean?) XD. But I really like this anime a lot. A whole lot. And this anime made me realize that I dig humorous animes which can make me laugh in every single episode. And am I delighted to find out that xxxHOLiC: Kei (sequel) is out just as I finished watching the first season! You can bet your last penny that I'm totally getting the sequel since everyone (every anime addict, that is) is talking about it and giving it the thumbs up after watching the latest sequel.

Like some of the animes which I love, this anime made me go laughing-out-loud from the very first episode of it. But there's one thing I don't really understand - why're all the characters have extra long legs and hands? Yet even though they have long legs and hands they still look human (not ape XD). Besides that, unrelated characters in the anime are always grayed out, literally. Maybe CLAMP's too lazy to draw the whole package? By the way, Mokona's really cute - round, black, eats up bad spirits and loves to bully Watanuki (actually I quite enjoyed watching Watanuki got bullied by Yuuko, Mokona and the twin girls XD) with Yuuko-san all the time ^^ll.

Yuuko's actually one of the main characters in the anime (she's smart! hats off to her). She's operates a shop which offers to realize client's wishes and the client has to pay back an equivalent price for it (not necessarily to be money). I love one of her favourite welcome line, "There is no coincidence in this world, only the inevitable (必然)". And let me tell you, I sort of enjoy watching Yuuko's fashion show in this anime. She changes outfit in every episode XD (and her outfits are all so nice! Especially the yukata *__*). Kinda refreshing you ask me, because I totally hate anime in which the character never ever get a second outfit. And it's always a pleasure for me to watch Watanuki being bullied by Yuuko XD. Much as Yuuko enjoyed it so do I (I love it the most when she bullied Watanuki with this ^___^ face XD).

Another reason I like this anime a lot is the theme of this anime's exactly the type I like to watch - supernatural and full of weird stuff. Actually it reminds me a bit of Mushishi, but Mushishi's not as funny as this one. Besides, it's good that there's a nice deep meaning behind every episodes of it... Plus the story's original and creative. I can't predict what's going to happen in the next 10 minutes even if I wanted to because there's no cliché at all in this.

And oh besides Yuuko, Doumeki seems to enjoy bullying Watanuki as well because Watanuki's reactions are simply too amusing to watch after he got bullied. Oh how I love DoumekixWatanuki (I mean friendship, not yaoi, don't think too far). And by the way Doumeki reminds me of a friend of mine with the stony facial expressions and the way he treated Watanuki (the same way she treated me XD). Doumeki~~♥~~ (why do I always fall for anime characters who're in Japanese Archery Club?? orz).

Man I was so worried for Watanuki in episode 23. I nearly thought he's gonna die or something if it hasn't been for Doumeki who saved him at the last minute. Although Watanuki's always shouting here and there like a maniac, but when he fell sick everyone's so worried for him ヾ(≧Д≦)ノ~ Watanuki's another main character in the movie and since he's young he's been "attracting" supernatural beings like spirits and stuff. So one day he stepped into Yuuko's shop and Yuuko practically forced him to work for her in the shop XD. Although he's a guy but he knows how to cook, bake, clean the house and all plus his food's all so delicious (he's like the perfect guy XD). But how can he be so dense? He can't even get it when Zashiki Warashi's (I love Zashiki Warashi's cute little followers who wear sunnies by the way XD) trying to confess to him by giving the ohagi to him in earlier episodes.

Episode 18 in this anime's my personal favourite. I don't know why but this episode reminds me a lot of Miyazaki's Spirited Away. Maybe it's because of those monsters of all all kinds? *Laughs*. And Episode 22's kinda touching as well. Last but not least is the last episode. It's a nice finishing episode which tells us a little bit of Watanuki's history with supernatural beings. Warming and rounds up the whole anime really well ^^.

Soundtrack of this anime's superb and matching. Especially one of the soundtracks which is named "Shizuka na Hibi". Somehow this soundtrack reminds me of Japan during autumn and I wish that I can listen to this soundtrack while watching red maple leaves and drinking red tea (´ー`) (but too bad that will never happen I think orz). Final verdict for the soundtrack and the theme songs of this anime: 8.2 out of 10 ^o^.

Overall anime rating: 8.6 out of 10. Too bad the artwork seems to be a little bit not that perfect, but the story's really good. And I'd recommend it to anybody who like Honey and Clover or Mushishi or anything with supernatural things. My next anime would be the 13-episode Bartender. Stay tuned for my review XD.

Yvonne..

No comments: