Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Detective Conan: Jolly Roger in the Deep Azure Review


Although this movie came out last year, I've just watched it 2 days ago. And don't get me wrong, I'm still the biggest fan of Detective Conan. It's just that, well, when you have all the time in the world to enjoy something nice, why rush? XD. OK that's an excuse I know, I can't believe I've postpone watching a movie for one YEAR. I really should stop getting more and more animes so that I can finish the ones on my hands first before I postpone them to even later. Overall, I quite like the theme of this movie - Friendship. It's been some time since Aoyama sensei uses something so delicate as a main theme and I can't say that I'm not happy for it. Although the minus point of this movie is that it reminds me a lot of another movie of Detective Conan - Detective Conan: Strategy Above the Depths. OK, maybe not a lot, but still the setting is somewhere near the sea and all. I expected something different ya know, unless of course the creator loves the sea so much then of course I have nothing else to say.

The movie starts off well from the witnessing of murder in water by Ran and her best buddy Sonoko, at least from here I can tell that Gosho's trying to add more suspense into the game and it's clicking well. Plus, I can see the improvement in this movie as new elements and that "ohm feeling" is in the movie as well. And I say the production of the movie's quite detailed and precise since I can't really pick out any huge flaws in this movie, from smooth animation to echo voices in the cave, I love the whole package of it ^^. I was actually sighing with contentment because it's been some time since there's a high-quality mystery in this anime instead of those pathetic mystery cases where I can solve with my imagination and can even spot some huge defect in the theory.

Anyway, if you're a Conan fan and is trying to get more of RanxShinichi or AixConan out of this movie, get something else instead of this. Seriously, there's very little of those romance stuff in this movie *coughmaybebecausethecretorgotdivorcedlastyearcough*. *Ahem*. Anyhow, I like the way Conan and Haibara cooperated in this movie. Finally Haibara is acting like herself unlike in those TV episodes where I keep watching with mild frustration since Conan and Haibara're busy trying to act like kids all the time.

Let's get back to the main topic. Artwork in this anime is good as usual (very Gosho style) and basically I've got nothing to say about its artwork since I'm so used to Detective Conan already. So I'm not in a place to criticize about its artwork since I will be seriously biased in my judgment. As for the storyline however, the story's well constructed, but somehow the story's kinda lagging in the middle if I'm not mistaken. It's like, the murder in the water is so exciting that it waters down the rest of the movie except for the end. I hope you get what I mean XD. But the setting is totally not my taste. I always loved mysteries which involve mansion, castle, secret tunnels, underground chamber and stuffs. But this, with sunny beach and sparkling sea as the setting, is not really my cup of tea. But it's still good nevertheless. It's just that I'm not one who have extra affection for the sea that's all.

The epilogue after the rolling credits is SO NICE! X) LOL OK I know it's because of Shinichi but... but... OK, it's just because of Shinichi. XD. I think I would hyperventilate if Gosho Aoyama produce a movie with NO Conan but JUST Shinichi in it. But I don't think that ever likely to happen since the name of the anime is Detective CONAN not Detective Shinichi OTL *sighs*. Oh well.

Besides, I totally *heart* the theme song of the anime! "Nanatsunoumi o Wataru Kaze no you ni (七つの海を渡る風のように)" by Rina Aiuchi & U-ka Saegusa!! Both my favourite female Japanese singer! XDXDXD. Is it a coincidence that this time it's two person instead of one who did the theme song? I don't think so ^^. And the acoustic guitar at the end of the movie is a nice touch to the anime *thumbs up*. So my rating for the soundtracks and theme songs of the anime is 8.2 out of 10.

For this movie, I'd give a rating of 7.8 out of 10. I would've give it an 8 if the story's not watered down in the middle. But anyway it's a nice movie overall *wink*.

Now I'm watching xxxHolic. So far, so good XD. I'll do the review when I'm done with it ^^.

Yvonne..

No comments: