Monday, December 1, 2008

How Good is Technology?

You know sometimes I don't really think it's healthy that we're relying a bit too much on technology, socially-wise.

All those IMs, mobile text messaging service, and so on.

What's funny is that we're depending a lot on these devices to communicate and maintain relationships.

Which, sometimes, when I think about it, is really pathetic.

I'm not trying to offend or anything, since most of you already know that I will die without Internet XD.

But I'm too immersed in it now that it sets me off thinking, "Is this healthy?"

80% of my off-college days social interactions are based on these devices.

It doesn't feel healthy.

And sometimes I prefer these instead of real-life interactions.

But I know very well that it's not 100% earnest and truthful.

There are more chance for us to coax, to deceive, to create a beautiful, evidence-less web of lies if we choose to.

Sometimes I thought, "What happened to letters?"

I always thought that letters are romantic and filled with emotions from our very own handwriting.

Once, I read from the papers that there's a guy from China who does nothing but online everyday and when provoked by his parents he claimed that he did have a few close friends.

Whom he do not know of the face and background.

Hey, these things happen.

Does it feel right?

It depends on you.

But to me, I don't feel that it's quite natural and "right".

It feels surreal, and sometimes you'll wonder if you're talking to a web of computers who generate appropriate response to you and keeps you going on.

Eerie doesn't it? =)

Imagine one day you saw one of your online "close friends" on the street... and when you tap on his/her shoulder... he/she didn't even know who you are.........................

Hey, it may happen.

Suddenly I feel like starting a campaign where no one can use any social technology tools for a week or something.

It'll be interesting wouldn't it? ;)

Yvonne..

No comments: